Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rules by Cynthia Lord


This is the book I am using as my read aloud for the first month back at school. I'm excited because I haven't read this aloud to a class before. It's about a little girl and her brother who she makes all the "Rules" for because he is autistic. I think they are really going to love it. Some of the lingo in the book is very "5th grade." Although...just before Christmas we finished the classic Edward Tulane, which is always the favorite read aloud. We'll see... If you enjoy young adult fiction you might enjoy reading "Rules" by Cynthia Lord. It was one of my summer reads and I loved it. Teachers, this book is great for teaching questioning, inferring, and beautiful language! I'm going to launch it with my figurative language unit in Reading Workshop. I'll give a later post on how well my class receives it.

No comments: