Sunday, December 28, 2008

Atlanta Lingo


I found this magazine today at Whole Foods and thought it was great for anyone who lives in Atlanta but is not a native Atlantan. I am from Carrollton, GA which is just an hour west of Atlanta but my husband is from Knoxville, TN so when we moved here he wasn't too familiar with the Atlanta lingo. "The Newcomer" magazine had a great article in it explaining some of the lingo....here's just a few:

-Big Chicken-An Atlanta landmark, this 56-foot metal rooster that soars above a KFC in Marietta has been in existence since the 60's.
-The Connector-The stretch or highway where interstates 85 and 75 overlap.
-The Hooch-The Chattahoochee River serves as a source of power, drinking water, and recreation.
-The Perimeter-I-285, which circles the city of Atlanta and is meant to be used as a bypass (but really isn't on most Atlanta traffic days)
-Spaghetti Junction: Complicated intertwining of I-85 and I-285 loops and bridges


There's just a few, so if you are visiting or moving checkout the Newcomer Atlanta site...lots of great info!

No comments: