Thursday, January 21, 2010

more on Developing the leader


I mentioned before that I am going through some books with a group of ladies at church. We are going through several books...one a month for the next year to be precise.



Have a feeling I will be mentioning this book quite a bit. Here's the thing.....I read this book as a 14 year old. My youth pastor gave it to a group of us to read. I loved it then....but not sure I applied it quite as much as I can at my current stage in which I am reading it. I have been blown away the past few days as I have read through this....I kept saying to myself, "why didn't I pay more attention 12 years ago? Wow! That's really good...wow...that reminds me of this person." or "Wow...i wish I had thought of this during that time in my life."

I feel like every part I read can apply to a certain area of my life: marriage, ministry, teaching.. Here's just a snippet of what Im talking about:

The boss drives his workers; the leader coaches them.
The boss depends on authority; the eader on good will.
The boss inspires fear; the leader inspires enthusiasm.
The boss says "I"; the leader, "we".
The boss fixes the blame for the breakdown; the leader fixes the breakdown.
The boss knows how it is done; the leader shows how.
The boss says, "Go"; the leader says, "Let's Go!"

I am crazy to think I have all this down...or WILL have it all down anytime soon....but I think just KNOWING the information is a great start to good leadership.

No comments: