Thursday, May 28, 2009

Summer Reading











Normally, this time of the year i would do a blog post to get ideas for my summer reading list, but since my summer reading list has already been decided for me thanks to this wonderful thing called grad school...I am going to make a list of books I think anyone who has anytime on their hands should read! (in no particular order)

1. Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire: Jim Cymbala-beautiful story of Jim Cymbala's journey to The Brooklyn Tabernacle. It challenges me in my faith everytime I read it.(mile marker)
2. A Severe Mercy: Sheldon Vanauken-This book is filled with some of the most beautiful language......it truly is one of the greatest love stories I have ever read.
3. Edward's Eyes:Patricia McLachlan-Young Adult Literature. About the sweet relationship of two brothers.....it's a quick read with just over 100 pages, but the visual images Patricia McLachlan can create in your mind in just those 100 pages is worth every page!
4. Wisdom Hunter: Randall Arthur-Christian Fiction. I'll be honest I normally don't do Christian fiction books. I don't have anything against this genre...just not been one of my faves in the past....UNTIL my husband insisted I read this book. I promise if you pick up this book...YOU CANNOT put it down. Amazing faith journey of a pastor, husband, and father. (mile marker book for me)
5. Uncensored Grace:Jud Wilhite-Amazing stories of people who are beginning their journeys with Christ in the streets of Las Vegas. Their life change and stories of faith are incredibly moving.
6. Windows of the Soul:Ken Gire-I promise if you read this book you will see things in your life in a totally new way. After reading this book I can honestly say that the lens I see life through became much more focused and clear. A true picture of Christ in every window of our lives. We keep a couple copies of this book on hand to give people when they stay with us.
7.(Warning:Teacher Recommendation...will only interest a certain group of people...to everyone else: BORING!)
When Kids Can't Read by Kylene Beers: Kyleene shares how to help kids on ALL levels in their reading abilities. I know as a teacher sometimes when we diagnose a reading problem we dont' exactly know what to do from there. She literally will take the problem and give you step by step on what to do and how to take students from that particular reading struggle and help them grow as readers. I am reading through it (again) after June to get some ideas for the upcoming school year.
8. Night by Elie Wiesal(winner of Nobel Peace Prize): Autobiography of a child and his father and their time and journey through the Holocaust concentration camps. Amazing strength and will to live.

Mile Marker=I can remember where I was and what I was doing and what I thought when I read these books.

What books are you planning to read over summer? I hope you all get to pick up some good books over the summer. Let me know if you check out any of the books from the list. I love book discussions:)

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas Lane.. I can't wait to check some of these books out! Pmackey