Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Small Moments in Basketball:)

So, today I was teaching my kids how to write a small moment in our Writing time. I modeled the story of when I scored my first basketball goal. Let's just get this out there: 1. I was and still am a HORRIBLE basketball player....yes, I am tall but htat doesn't mean ALL tall people are good at basketball! 2. This is a little dramatic, but using lots of details and being a little over the top makes for good stories for kids to get the point. 3. just thought you all would get a kick out of it:)

"Get in the game Dixon!"
Coach yelled at me. It was the first time I had played the entire game. Although I don't blame her for not putting me in, I was a terrible ball player. Dribble, dribble, dribble down the court. I could feel the sweat slowly begin to pour down my face. The sound of the ball hitting the ground up and down, up and down brought on an entirely new level of intensity.
The point guard passed the ball to me. My heart froze..."What was I going to do now?' I thought to myself. I looked to the left and saw people screaming, "Shoot it!" I looked to the right and saw my mom holding her breath, and in front of me.... was a solid white basket. I looked again, but there wasn't anymore time. The girl from the opposing team was screaming at me like a wild animal. I had to shoot. I could feel a huge lump in my throat. Butterflies wasn't even close to how sick I felt at my stomach. "One, two, three...here I go...just shoot it Lane." Slowly from the bottom of my toes to what seemed like the highest point of my head, I jumped as high as my little body would take me. Whoosh! The basketball that I once held so tightly to my hand had now made its way smoothly through the clear white net. I looked over at my coach and she had a huge grin across her face. I didn't see her do that a lot, so I knew she was proud. I looked at my mom and she was breathing once again. I had done it. I had scored my first basketball goal.


PS.
I was 14 at this time....def. not a kid. Def. 14! Lame...I know:) makes it even funnier!

What about you? Am I the only one who was absoloutely TERRIBLE at a sport?

1 comment:

Lori said...

I was terrible at ALL sports. Not at all coordinated. :)